Good Morning Sunshine
So the very first thing my digestive system gets to play with is an amazing concoction of lemon (or lime) and tolerably hot water. I find setting myself up properly for the day makes a huge difference to how smoothly things roll in the craziness that can take over!
Let's be clear, I am not claiming drinking lemon water will solve all your health concerns. Like just about everything there is research for and against the benefits of my favorite morning drink. So I squeeze 1/4-1/2 a lemon in the warmest water I drink without scalding myself.
The lemon serves a few purposes....
- It's alkalizing in our body which helps combat the highly acidc diet we have grown to know and love. Acid overload leads to inflammation and inflammation leads to disease.
- You get a nice big hit of Vitamin C which most of us are seriously lacking.
- Helps your detoxifying organs ie your liver and kidneys clear out the nasties
- Well obviously the elixir of life, we are 90% of the stuff and after sleeping we have exhaled and processed a solid amount so it's nice to restock
- Those of you trying to lose some fat....you need significant amounts of water for fat metabolism. Cheers to that!
- Warm water is extremely good for digestion and in particular keeping you regular. Having a glass of tolerably hot water on an empty tummy can have an almost laxative effect.
In winter it is very comfy cosy and in summer it's super refreshing.