Our whole food of the week is the amazing avocado.
Why should I eat it?
Avos are a super fruit containing a range of vital nutrients needed for a healthy body. Avocados are high in water (around 75%) however still pack a nutritional punch. They are full of healthy fat and fiber while naturally low in sugar and sodium. A few of the nutrients 1/4 avocado (around 50g) provides include;
- 2g fibre
- 60mg folate (30% of the recommended dietary intake (RDI) for folate)
- 10mg Vitamin C (25% RDI for Vitamin C)
- 1mg Vitamin E (10% of RDI for Vitamin E)
- Naturally low in sodium just 1.5mg per 50g serve
- Source of potassium. *
Kate's favourite way to do it....
- On toast with sliced tomato, cracked pepper and Himalayan Pink sea salt
- In a salad with blanched green beans, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, poppy seeds with a splash of fresh lemon juice and vinegar
- As a replacement for butter or margarine, awesome with Vegemite!!